You are working at a large government teaching hospital in San Francisco. Your institution caters to all patients from the California and other nearby cities. Upon arrival at work this morning,
You are working at a large government teaching hospital in San Francisco. Your institution caters to all patients from the California and other nearby cities. Upon arrival at work this morning, you looked at the census board and discovered that the surgical unit that you are assigned in was filled, with some patients on queue for transfer from the ER Department. The following are the patients assigned to this team. Classify the following patients according to their patient acuity or level of care needed. In 200 words, identify and discuss the levels of care that that each patients needs.
1. Patient 1 – 36/F, scheduled for left modified radical mastectomy at 10AM today
2. Patient 2 – 28/M, post–op Day 4 Cholecystectomy, ambulatory and without IV line.
3. Patient 3 – 50/F, post–incision and drainage of left arm abscess and still with IV line
4. Patient 4 – 42/M, who is ready for discharge and needs discharge instruction
5. Patient 5 – 39/F, scheduled for Emergency Exploratory Laparotomy, to consider bowel obstruction
6. Patient 6 – 20/M, for transfer to ICU, for insertion of intra–jugular vein catheter and for emergency dialysis.
7. Patient 7 – 55/F, on total bedrest, with NGT and chest tube
8. Patient 8 – 61/M, post–op Day 5 Partial Hip Replacement and for referral to Rehab Department