HCI 670 COURSE ASSIGNMENTS WEEK 1 TO 4
HCI 670 Assignments Week 1 to 4
HCI 670 Topic 1 Assignment – Human Factors Engineering Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to explain the principles of design usability and analyze the impact of human factors on electronic applications for health care systems.
Write a 750-1,000 word paper on the usability of health informatics applications. Include the following:
- Describe an example of an electronic health record (EHR) application used in a health care
- Describe the key elements of design usability for that application.
- Analyze and describe how human factors or heuristic principles affect the electronic EHR in the chosen
- Recommend an improvement to the chosen electronic
- Provide a rationale for the suggested improvement based on knowledge of design Support your findings with a minimum of two scholarly resources.
HCI 670 Topic 2 Assignment – Clinical Decision Support
The purpose of this assignment is to describe the different types of clinical decision support and determine the outcomes of applied clinical decision support.
Using the topic resources and your own research, write a 500 – 750 word paper addressing the following.
- What are the different types of clinical decision support?
- Describe at least three different types of clinical decision support that could be used in health care setting, or provide a personal workplace example.
- Using the examples you have provided (above), identify the triggers that would initiate the criteria for clinical decision support.
- Using the same examples, outline the who, what, and when and how of a clinical decision support enhancement.
- Describe the outcomes of clinical decision support application.
Cite at least two scholarly resources in your response.
HCI 670 Topic 3 Assignment – Needs Assessment Case Study
Read the “Integrated Case Study”, “Oncology North: Navigator Intake Paper Form” and “Oncology South: Oncology Navigator Intake Form” resources prior to beginning the assignment and use the information in the resource to write a 750-1,000 word paper that provides answers to the following questions:
- What are the problems identified in the EHR?
- What are the gaps resulting from the identified problems?
- What are some opportunities to expand or develop the capabilities of the EHR?
- What developments could be made to the clinical workflow setting?
- What is a potential solution to the identified EHR problem?
Cite at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed resources in your analysis.
HCI 670 Topic 4 Assignment – Digital Electronic Forms
The purpose of this assignment is to design a clinical form to be used for oncology RN navigators.
Read the “Integrated Case Study” resource and review the “Oncology North: Navigator Intake Paper Form” and “Oncology South: Oncology Navigator Intake Form” prior to beginning the assignment.
Based upon the case study and two intake forms, use an Excel spreadsheet or Word document to design a custom form that merges the paper documents and converts them to an electronic form. Be sure to include the different custom fields and topics necessary for navigating the form.
Along with your form, include a 250-word rationale in which you:
- Describe the heuristic principles used to design the clinical form.
- Explain how the documentation aids the oncology RN navigator in providing quality patient
- Explain the rationale of the
HCI 670 Topic 5 Assignment Benchmark – Create a Workflow
The purpose of this assignment is to analyze a clinical workflow and apply process modeling techniques to solve an EMR problem.
Read the “Integrated Case Study” resource and review the “Oncology North: Navigator Intake Paper Form” and “Oncology South: Oncology Navigator Intake Form” prior to beginning the assignment. In addition, refer to the instructor feedback you received on the Topic 3 assignment.
Part 1: Analyze a Current State
Analyze the “Oncology North: Navigator Intake Paper Form” and “Oncology South: Oncology Navigator Intake Form” to identify opportunities for process improvement as they relate to informatics. Consider ways to optimize electronic documentation and reduce the number of steps.
Part 2: Create a Future State Workflow
Using an Excel spreadsheet or Word document, create a future state workflow that solves the identified improvement opportunities from your analysis with a minimum of six steps and a clearly defined start and stop. The workflow must display the accurate symbols used to indicate certain actions.
Part 3: Rationale
In addition, support the future state workflow with a 500-word rationale that provides the following:
- Identify the users of the
- Describe the identified opportunities for process improvement and how the future state workflow addresses these
- Describe how the future state workflow optimizes electronic documentation and reduces the number of
- Explain the effects of the future state workflow on patient
- Explain how the future state workflow will change based on user
Discuss how to develop an improvement plan to enhance the future state workflow. Include three to five scholarly resources to support your findings.